Coming Soon...

  • Rock Chick Reawakening by Kristen Ashley

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 3th, 2017

  • Lucian Divine by Renee Carlino

    Review: Jan. 8th, 2017

  • Egomaniac by Vi Keeland

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 16th, 2017

  • Casanova by Emma Hart

    Review: Jan. 25th, 2017

  • The Room Mate by Kendall Ryan

    Review: Jan. 27th, 2017

Monday, January 6

Review: Brutal by K.S. Adkins

brutal

Title: Brutal

By: K.S. Adkins

Series: Detroit After Dark

My Copy: Ebook for Review

BookWhisperer Rating:

three books

My name is Venessa Cross.
I'm a Detroit DJ with issues. I know it, my friends know it, and even the enemy knows it.
The problem is, now the Detroit Police Department knows it, too.
I was wrong to think my nighttime activities would go unnoticed. Eventually I wound up on his radar.
He lives for the law, I exist outside of it. I expected the rules to change, but I didn't expect that one simple handshake would also change… everything else.
When he's assigned to protect me, he gets a back stage pass to my world.
Now I make him question the very oath he stands for, and I hate myself for it.
I’m convinced I’ll ruin him.
Yet, he wants to save me.
If you thought the streets of Detroit were brutal, you haven’t seen me in action.
Follow me and watch me do what the police can't: deliver punishment.
My name is Venessa Cross.
I am justice.

our thoughtsThis book has me twisted up in knots. Brutal is a story of pure raw justice and violence. First, I would like to say that I absolutely loved the introduction chapters. Just like the book description above which just happens to be taken from the first chapter. Our two main characters have introduction chapters. This nicely laid the ground work for who we will be working with for the duration of the story. Venessa’s is our first introduction, and we soon find out that she is a ruthless hunter. Little do we know that shortly after we would uncover that she is also a victim. Having suffered the absolute worst experience any woman or child should; she has somehow still managed to have grown into a self assured and  independent individual. She is the face of justice, and is doing everything in her power to protect those whom can not protect themselves. Let just lay it out, I LOVE HER CHARACTER. She is the ultimate heroine, and someone that fans of strong female leads will tremendously enjoy.

Rogan is the second chapter, and is the definition of an Alpha Male. According, to the story he is not all that great to look at, but in the eye of someone looking for a genuine soul he proves to be utterly beautiful. I like the honesty and integrity that comes with both of these characters personalities.

Now, this is where I must lay out all of my concerns, because I thoroughly enjoy the character and the perfect story outline. This is a book not for the faint hearted, but it is real and extreme. The combination of all of these aspects had me on the rollercoaster anticipating an earth shattering story. I was not entirely disappointed with this prediction, but there are some telltale signs that I was dealing with new author and it caused me some concerns. As the story takes off, I was immediately concerned about the development between Rogan and Venessa. Yes, she was a victim ten years ago, and yes she has obviously had time to deal and even possibly received  assistance in overcoming her past, but we need to have support for this. This is entirely my opinion, but I feel from experiencing stories with such taboo and shocking topics that you must incorporate the follow up. It is like cause and effect. Author’s needs their character to be reliable, and this needs to be accompanied by showing them as logical and mentally sound characters.

There is absolutely no way that young girl could experience such destructive behavior first hand, and just walk away unscathed. More importantly, while the story goes on to say that she moved in with a loving family they still had issues there as well. So, where did she have the support to overcome such a tragic past. More importantly, where did she learn to trust any men what so ever. Now, please don’t label me as a debbie downer, because I don’t want to give the impression that I don’t like the story. I am not asking for years of detailed therapy or anything like that, but I do believe that we need to see why she would not naturally develop a fear of men, and more importantly a fear of intimate relations.

My hackles only seemed to rise a bit more when we develop a love a first sight for Rogan. Now, I have no problem with the instant attraction.  What I do not, however, feel was totally fitting was the willingness for immediate physical touch.  So, now not only did we not deal with the victim’s issues, but we are also throwing her into a physical relationship that she seems to have no problem touching or being touched. This really made me incredibly leery. This bit of detail caused a friction in the beginning of the story, but the thread of doubt twisted me up so tight that I felt it left me question the story all the way through. While I was so devoted to the story for the characters and the storyline I was constantly rationalize every bit of the story.This story has everything for a five star read. The only thing it is lacking is some detail, and support that would have shaped the beginning to the story more effectively.

jackie name plate

No comments: