Coming Soon...

  • Rock Chick Reawakening by Kristen Ashley

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 3th, 2017

  • Lucian Divine by Renee Carlino

    Review: Jan. 8th, 2017

  • Egomaniac by Vi Keeland

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 16th, 2017

  • Casanova by Emma Hart

    Review: Jan. 25th, 2017

  • The Room Mate by Kendall Ryan

    Review: Jan. 27th, 2017

Tuesday, August 23

Review: Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Title: Anna Dressed in Blood
By: Kendare Blake
My Copy: Paperback provided for honest review
BookWhisperer Rating: 4 Star

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. They follow legends and local lore, destroy the murderous dead, and keep pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

Searching for a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas expects the usual: track, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, now stained red and dripping with blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

Yet she spares Cas's life.



Both of us here at The BookWhisperer have been long awaiting reading Kendare Blake's Anna Dressed in Blood. We fell captive to the incredibly daunting and beautiful cover originally. ( I know, I know the cardinal sin, "Never Judge a Book by its cover.") Although, fortunately upon further investigation we were thrilled to discover a description that suggested a must read promising to leave us engaged and sleepless. I got here first, so I had the pleasure of being the one to read this first, and I can say that it offered all the cover and description promised. I am not always a big fan of male lead characters, because I often have a hard time relating and being able to experience a story as realistically. Kendare's story was a refreshing surprise, because this was never a concern. From the start Cas Lowood was a exciting and pleasing character to follow. His character has suffered much and experienced way more than any teenager should endure. His destiny of expelling deadly ghost like a "ghostbuster" was a very exciting new story line that I very much enjoyed. The ghostly experiences were very graphic and vivid leaving me looking over my shoulder for things that go bump in the night. Kendare's debut novel has set the stage, and I look forward to the seeing the direction this story will take. I feel this book has planted the seeds, and left me with a few assumptions of developments to come. I was very impressed by Anna Dressed in Blood overall the plot, the author style, and the detailed characters combined made this story everything that it could be. As a reviewer I saw no area that I felt could have been improved or had deserved more work. Kendare Blake successfully created a new series that I am excited and anxious to continue. The only warning for readers that I will extend without any criticism beware of Blake's ability to pull you into her dark and chilling world. This is one that will have you reluctant to walk into a dark room for sure.

No comments: