Coming Soon...

  • Rock Chick Reawakening by Kristen Ashley

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 3th, 2017

  • Lucian Divine by Renee Carlino

    Review: Jan. 8th, 2017

  • Egomaniac by Vi Keeland

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 16th, 2017

  • Casanova by Emma Hart

    Review: Jan. 25th, 2017

  • The Room Mate by Kendall Ryan

    Review: Jan. 27th, 2017

Wednesday, November 11

Review: Dreamland by Sarah Dessen

Title: Dreamland
By: Sarah Dessen
My Copy: Book Bought
BookWhisperer Rating: 


Wake up, Caitlin

Ever since she started going out with Rogerson Biscoe, Caitlin seems to have fallen into a semiconscious dreamland where nothing is quite real. Rogerson is different from anyone Caitlin has ever known. He's magnetic. He's compelling. He's dangerous. Being with him makes Caitlin forget about everything else--her missing sister, her withdrawn mother, her lackluster life. But what happens when being with Rogerson becomes a larger problem than being without him?
 

Dreamland is a heartfelt story that will captivate its reader. This is a review from the perspective of a thirteen year old girl, and it was my first experience with a story of such a complex relationship. Caitlin is a naive girl that finds herself in the throws of a complicated romance, but her innocence leaves her unawares of the dangers and reality of her situation. It was interesting to see the connection Dessen makes with Rogerson and his father. My Mom explains this as needing to break the cycle, and how families tend to follow trends because it is what they know. I saw a lot of emphasis put on the absence of Caitlin's sister, and I see how this young girl was trying to overcome her loss. The addition of Rogerson was more than a just love, but rather a replacement for the love lost when her sister abandoned her. It was a lesson for myself watching the budding romance, and the giddy anticipation that I can relate to. Although, as the story progressed I was scared of the direction that this romance took, and it was eye opener to the dangers that can exists around every corner from people you would never expect. This was an addictive story for myself, and I was overcome with the need to see Caitlin conquer her situation. While I could see the fall I was also aware that this was not an acceptable relationship, and she needed to find a way out. While Dreamland was an entertaining read it proved a bit educational as I have not had much interaction with such circumstances.
~BookWhisperer Reviewer HayBug~

No comments: