Coming Soon...

  • Rock Chick Reawakening by Kristen Ashley

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 3th, 2017

  • Lucian Divine by Renee Carlino

    Review: Jan. 8th, 2017

  • Egomaniac by Vi Keeland

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 16th, 2017

  • Casanova by Emma Hart

    Review: Jan. 25th, 2017

  • The Room Mate by Kendall Ryan

    Review: Jan. 27th, 2017

Monday, December 22

Review: The Book of Ivy by Amy Engel

Title: The Book of Ivy
By: Amy Engel
Series: The Book of Ivy #1
My Copy: Bought from Amazon
BookWhisperer Rating:

After a brutal nuclear war, the United States was left decimated. A small group of survivors eventually banded together, but only after more conflict over which family would govern the new nation. The Westfalls lost. Fifty years later, peace and control are maintained by marrying the daughters of the losing side to the sons of the winning group in a yearly ritual.

This year, it is my turn.

My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son—my soon-to-be husband—and restore the Westfall family to power.

But Bishop Lattimer is either a very skilled actor or he’s not the cruel, heartless boy my family warned me to expect. He might even be the one person in this world who truly understands me. But there is no escape from my fate. I am the only one who can restore the Westfall legacy.

Because Bishop must die. And I must be the one to kill him…
 

This is one for the record book. Newly added to my favorites list I expect to see much hype build for this incredible story in the next few months. I was first drawn in by the cover that seemed simple yet powerful. Then I found the book description that left me anxiously anticipating the release. Having now finished I can say with all consuming certainty that this was everything I was wanting and more. Ivy story is quite the adventure. As I journey through her self discovery I was overwhelmed with the experience as though I was living them. Stepping away from the family unit under the rouse of accepting participation she begins to spread her wings, and when she allows herself occasion moments of adventure her eyes begin to truly open. With the shadow of her secrets and responsibilities still hovering just out of sight she struggles through the up and downs.  Though, as times passes she finds an increased frequency in the occasional moment of release with which she allows herself to just appreciate life. The Book of Ivy is an story built on courage and innocence. It is a masterpiece carefully crafted with webs of detail and mystery. I am stricken by the proof of raw and untainted talent here. Readers will immediately recognize such ability as rare and unique. It is effortless to get caught up in the plausibility of this alternate future. Seeing Ivy and Bishop as the victims to the lies and hatred passed down through the years. As direct descendants they are being used pawns to years old grudges that will only prove to further the divide between these two communities. Somewhere in the middle the companionship and love turns the tables, but with no certain way to stop the cycle. Ivy's sacrifice is awe worthy and inspiring. This book was so wonderfully written that I could easily fall into the role of Ivy. I would not consider this an emotionally charged novel with normal mountainous peaks, but rather it is obvious that this is a book building marathon. The gradual building is evident and leading me to anticipate an entire earth shattering series that earns it's name as a BookWhisperer Favorite.



No comments: