Coming Soon...

  • Rock Chick Reawakening by Kristen Ashley

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 3th, 2017

  • Lucian Divine by Renee Carlino

    Review: Jan. 8th, 2017

  • Egomaniac by Vi Keeland

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 16th, 2017

  • Casanova by Emma Hart

    Review: Jan. 25th, 2017

  • The Room Mate by Kendall Ryan

    Review: Jan. 27th, 2017

Sunday, November 17

Review: Rotten by J.L. Brooks

rotten

Title: Rotten

By: J.L. Brooks

My Copy: Ebook from Author

BookWhisperer Rating:

two books

Growing up on the outskirts of Las Vegas as the daughter of notorious strip club owner, Stephen Knox, and a mother who abandoned her at birth, life was less than kind to a young Antoinette.
After a failed teenage suicide attempt, Toni hit the road in search of a life free of undeserved cruelty and any resemblance to her past.
Years later, Toni is lost in a dead end marriage and makes a painful confession that sends her back to the one place she always wanted to escape. But can she really right the wrongs that haunt her? Toni soon finds that the only place where things stay the same is in your mind.
When her path crosses with David Stark, childhood playmate turned one night stand, she cannot deny the spike in temperature she feels every time he's near or the scorching dreams that flood her at night.
Digging through the years of heartache, Toni soon finds herself torn between the man she is committed to and the one who has always held her heart. As each layer unfolds before her, she discovers the root cause of her pain. Always believing the source was external, nothing could prepare her for the truth.

our thoughts I hate negative reviews, and I hate even more to create them. Rotten is a wonderful storyline in theory. I love the concept and the rough idea, but I can not say that this proved a well created story. While I completely understood the stance the author is attempting in this book; I am afraid it just went wrong. The first chapter had me anticipating a much better than what I encountered. The glimpse gathered from Chapter one promised intense emotion, but from the second chapter on it held no comparison to anything I was looking for. I understand that Toni has spent the past twelve years creating and alternate identity. When I say alternate identity I don’t mean this in the sense that she changed her name and disguised herself into an totally different person. I mean it in the sense that she is moves away and conducts herself in such a nature that no one even friends and family would not be able to recognize the person she has become. This was the one completely plausible thing I found  in the story.

Immediately her father suffers a stroke, and Toni finds herself returning to the one town that she promised to never return. This is where the story seems to just go completely off kilter. This woman that has become a “holy roller” to quote the term from the book; returns to this town, and within hours of her return has her first conversation using the “F” word. Now I can really pick things apart, and most times see the bigger picture for creating such situations, but this one did nothing to help this story. If anything I think it hinders the story, and it only continues when she throws down the strip club, and starts sleeping the bed with her past lover. All of these things just don’t add up. All of these times the guilt and responsibility is lacking leaving me questioning the validity of this situation, and it proves more and more unrealistic. I just can’t put all of this together in my head. I must say that I was unable to quit the story, but I just was not fitting all together for the entire length of the story. Now I am left with an unsatisfied craving for the storyline that just did not pan out here.

jackie name plate

No comments: