Coming Soon...

  • Rock Chick Reawakening by Kristen Ashley

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 3th, 2017

  • Lucian Divine by Renee Carlino

    Review: Jan. 8th, 2017

  • Egomaniac by Vi Keeland

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 16th, 2017

  • Casanova by Emma Hart

    Review: Jan. 25th, 2017

  • The Room Mate by Kendall Ryan

    Review: Jan. 27th, 2017

Wednesday, July 18

Review: The Darkest Hour by Maya Banks

the darkest hour

Title: The Darkest Hour

By: Maya Banks

Series: A KGI Novel Book 1

My Copy: Bought from Amazon

BookWhisperer Rating:

3 button

About the Book:

The Kelly Group International (KGI): A super elite, top secret, family-run business.

Qualifications: High intelligence, rock hard body, military background.

Mission: Hostage/kidnap victim recovery. Intelligence gathering. Handling jobs the US government can’t…

It’s been one year since ex-Navy SEAL Ethan Kelly last saw his wife Rachel alive. Overwhelmed by grief and guilt over his failures as a husband, Ethan shuts himself off from everything and everyone.

His brothers have tried to bring Ethan into the KGI fold, tried to break through the barriers he's built around himself, but Ethan refuses to respond… until he receives anonymous information claiming Rachel is alive.

To save her, Ethan will have to dodge bullets, cross a jungle, and risk falling captive to a deadly drug cartel that threatens his own demise. And even if he succeeds, he’ll have to force Rachel to recover memories she can’t and doesn’t want to relive—the minute by minute terror of her darkest hour—for their love, and their lives, may depend on it.

review plate

I saw the synopsis of the book and knew that I had to have it on my Kindle immediately. Ex-Navy Seal – check. Ex-Navy Seal’s wife in danger – check. Military brothers willing to fight for their family – check. All of the above made for a good book. As a reader, you get to see Ethan at his lowest of lows as he lives through one of his worst days, his wife’s one year death anniversary. It is then that Ethan finds that Rachel just might still be alive and recruits his brothers for the mission to save her.

What I loved about the book was it was action packed when the scene called for it. If felt like I was with these military agents, in the middle of the jungle, on a rescue mission and I felt that way throughout the book whenever the crap hit the fan (and it hits the fan plenty of times.)

I loved Mr. and Mrs. Kelly (the parents of the military boys) throughout the whole book. You could tell that the love that the brothers formed with each other, that tight bond, was because love was in the Kelly household. However, I didn’t understand the sub plot line of them “adopting” the girl that broke into their house. I kept thinking to myself, “What just happened?”

The main characters, Ethan and Rachel, are good characters. However, this plot is so commonly done that the characters and their love for each other needed to be so strong for this book to really make an impression. Unfortunately for me, it didn’t succeed. Don’t get me wrong, it is a good book to read but what it really lacked for me was just amazing passion between the two of them. Maybe it was because Rachel’s memory was somewhat lost, but when I finished, I was left feeling like there could have been more of “something.”

So, while it wasn’t what I was hoping for, I still kept turning the pages until the very end because I found that I did become invested into the characters enough that I needed to know what happens.

BookWhisperer Reviewer MC~

nameplate

No comments: