Coming Soon...

  • Rock Chick Reawakening by Kristen Ashley

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 3th, 2017

  • Lucian Divine by Renee Carlino

    Review: Jan. 8th, 2017

  • Egomaniac by Vi Keeland

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 16th, 2017

  • Casanova by Emma Hart

    Review: Jan. 25th, 2017

  • The Room Mate by Kendall Ryan

    Review: Jan. 27th, 2017

Sunday, June 13

Review: Swoon at your own risk by Sydney Salter

swoon at your own risk

Title: Swoon at your own risk

By: Sydney Salter

Reading Level: Young Adult Romance

Publisher: Graphia Books (April 2010)

BookWhisperer Rating:

two stars

Book Description:

It’s the summer before senior year and Polly Martin has sworn off boys. Who needs the hurt and confusion? Five recent breakups have left her with an unnatural knowledge of NASCAR, the ultimate hiker’s outfit, a student council position, the sixth highest score on the Donkey Kong machine at the mall, and a summer job at Wild Waves with ex #2 Sawyer Holmes.
Success seems a sure thing when Polly’s grandmother, the syndicated advice columnist, Miss Swoon, moves in for the summer. Polly almost doesn’t mind sharing a room with her little sister, Grace. Think of all the great advice she’ll get!
Everything is going according to plan except... Miss Swoon turns out to be a man-crazy septuagenarian! And then there’s Xander Cooper. If only he wouldn’t keep showing up at Wild Waves with his adorable cousins every afternoon — and what is he writing in that little notebook?
No advice column in the world can prepare Polly for the lessons she learns when she goes on a group camping trip (with three too many ex-boyfriends). Polly is forced to see people for who they are — a blend of good and bad qualities that can’t be reduced to a list or a snappy answer in a Miss Swoon column.

reviews plate copy As a book blogger I hate having to give a review for a book that has proven to be a struggle. Swoon at your own risk, is just that kind of struggle that I hate to encounter. I believe that I should give a book at least 100 pages before making any decisions about what I think of the book as a whole. After giving this book that opportunity I was still at a loss to find my groove. Per the description this would be a book that I would typically read and enjoy, but I found that I this book is lacking. The storyline did not carry the intensity that the description promised. Even a book with a slow start will reach a point where the reader is hooked, and will carry out the remainder of the book. Salter’s book was lacking that hook, and I found it to lose more of my attention the further that I read. As I said before I hate giving any book a bad review, but I could not find anything in this book that would rate worthy. I can not recommend this book any further. Look for Swoon at your own risk in an upcoming second chance giveaway.

Name Plate copy

2 comments:

B.A.M. Book Reviews said...

Aw, sorry ya didn't like it :( I hate when I read a book and come out of it with nothing but "eh".

-Briana

Maria the Bookworm said...

Too bad you didn't like it, but I still think I'll give it a try :)