Coming Soon...

  • Rock Chick Reawakening by Kristen Ashley

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 3th, 2017

  • Lucian Divine by Renee Carlino

    Review: Jan. 8th, 2017

  • Egomaniac by Vi Keeland

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 16th, 2017

  • Casanova by Emma Hart

    Review: Jan. 25th, 2017

  • The Room Mate by Kendall Ryan

    Review: Jan. 27th, 2017

Wednesday, April 14

Review: The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

unwrittenrulepagepic

Title: The Unwritten Rule

By: Elizabeth Scott

Reading level: Young Adult Fiction

Publisher: Simon Pulse

BookWhisperer Rating:

       five stars

Book Description:

Everyone knows the unwritten rule: You don't like your best friend's boyfriend.

Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend.

Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she's thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It's wonderful...and awful.

Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more...

reviews plate copy 

First reading the book description I was anticipating a love story of sorts with the best friend falling in love with the her friends boyfriend. What I found in reading this novel was so much more. The main character of Briana is a holy terror; who would even want a friend like this. She is a character that coins the phrase looks better at twenty yards than at five yards. She may appear to be beautiful and wonderful, but upon closer inspection she is rude and conceited beyond your wildest dreams. Also, I have a hard time with this book description when you soon find that Sarah has had a past with Ryan long before Brianna’s relationship. Also noting that the only reason that Brianna has a relationship with him is due to her one night of breezing into a room, and taking over his attention that he had been giving to Sarah. This is a friend’s worst nightmare, and this character is beyond repulsive to me. Although, I am fully aware that her past has taught her the life that she is living. I think that deep down the apple did not fall far from her Mother’s tree, and she is just not a very good person.

I spent most of the time reading this book yelling at the characters. Sarah may be a wonderful person, and trying to be a true friend but she needed to stand up for herself and tell Brianna off multiple times. I find it to be courageous that she find it in yourself to apologize, and bare the brunt of guilt, after having realized that Brianna had never really been a true friend to her. I loved the ending to this book, “All the things I’ve thought about love are true. It’s beautiful and terrible and it doesn’t make things perfect. It ends things, and it bring beginnings. This is mine.” (pg 210) This summed it all up short and sweet. That Sarah used this a lesson to grow, and make herself better is wonderful. I think that books such as these are good for the younger generations, not so you can steal your friends boyfriend, but to open your eyes to acknowledge what is really happening around you. Don’t let the friend that seems to have it all together push you around and make you into a different person. Be who you are, but that is what God intended.

I love this story from page 1, although, I am sure this might have something to did with the love I have for this particular author. Every time, I pick up a book of hers I find myself up sprinting through the pages. I had this particular book finished within twenty fours hours. I could not put this book down. Scott is an amazing author that inevitable always takes you along for the ride. You are not never the bystander watching the story unfold; you are living it. I love this in a book, and I would recommend this book in a heartbeat.

I always like to add my notes about the covers to books. One of my favorite aspects of reading is to be able to solve the mystery of why a particular cover is chosen. I love to end my reviews noting about the cover of the book, because I am a huge Cover Girl. This book was not complicated. Being that this book was about a hidden romance between the friend and the boyfriend I believe that this cover is to represent two people hiding the affection and touching any way that they can. I love this cover to this book. It is so simple, but yet so powerful at the same time. I LOVE IT!!!

Name Plate copy

No comments: