Coming Soon...

  • Rock Chick Reawakening by Kristen Ashley

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 3th, 2017

  • Lucian Divine by Renee Carlino

    Review: Jan. 8th, 2017

  • Egomaniac by Vi Keeland

    Release Day Blitz: Jan. 16th, 2017

  • Casanova by Emma Hart

    Review: Jan. 25th, 2017

  • The Room Mate by Kendall Ryan

    Review: Jan. 27th, 2017

Tuesday, November 17

BookWhisperer Favorites

These are books not to be missed. Having just started my book blog this year there are several of my favorite books that I have not reviewed here. For the sake of not leaving them out this post is to introduce you to all of my favorites.
Let’s start with books in series:


Vampire Academy Series
by Richelle Mead

First off is Richelle Meads Vampire Academy Series. This is one of my absolute favorites. Starting with the first book Vampire Academy all the way to the most recent release of Blood Promise. The next book will be called Spirit Bound to be released 05/18/2010.
From Mead’s website here is a short description of the wonderful series. Two races of vampires walk our world. The Moroi are alive and wield elemental magical, while the Strigoi are undead and evil--feeding on the innocent to survive. Rose Hathaway--a half-vampire with poor impulse control--is training to be a bodyguard for a Moroi princess. Learning to decapitate and stake is hard enough, but Rose's real danger may lie in an illicit romance with one of her instructors...
This is Richelle's only young adult series. It's received honors from the American Library Association and been on the New York Times and USA Today Bestseller lists.

Shifters Series by Rachel Vincent

Next on the list is my favorite Werecats. Rachel Vincent created a very unique world of Werecats. Shapeshifter that shift in to cat, and resemble very large cougars. This is an awesome series that includes amazing characters. You are guaranteed to crave more and will without a doubt being anxiously awaiting the next book. The first four books are already printed, but we will not see Shift until March 1, 2010.
Stray’s Book Description from the Rachel Vincent’s Webpage:
I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.
Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.
This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back... for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever and whoever--I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays--'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them...


Lily Dale Series
by Wendy Corsi Staub

This Lily Dale Series has not been in my list of favorites for very long. I am a “shiny things girl” as my husband would put it, “Oh Look That’s Pretty.” This being said the Lily Dale books covers do not do them justice. These are awesome Young Adult Books. After the first book Lily Dale: Awakening, I was hooked. Give them a chance it is a wolf in sheeps clothing.
Lily Dale Awakening Book Description from the author’s Webpage:
She may be able to see the future, but she needs to know what happened to her past.
Calla thought that her boyfriend breaking up with her in a text message was the worst thing that could ever happen to her. But just two weeks later, her mother died in a freak accident, and life as she knew it was completely over. With her father heading to California for a new job, they decide that Calla should spend a few weeks with the grandmother she barely knows while he gets them set up on the west coast.
To Calla’s shock, her mother’s hometown of Lily Dale is almost entirely populated by spiritualists who can communicate with the dead—and her grandmother is one of them. Suddenly, the fact that her mother never talked about her past takes on more mysterious overtones. The longer she stays in town, the stranger things become, as Calla starts to experience unusual and unsettling events that lead her to wonder whether she has inherited her grandmother’s unique gift. Is it this gift that is making her suspect that her mother’s death was more than an accident, or is it just an overactive imagination? Staying in Lily Dale is the only way to uncover the truth. But will Calla be able to deal with what she learns about her mother's past and her own future?


Mercy Thompson Series
by Patricia Briggs

Now to a series Many of you know, and if you don’t shame on you. Just kidding, but you are missing one of the best series. Patricia Briggs is the author of this Mercedes Thompson Series,  and it is well worth every minute you will spend reading. Mecedes Thompson is a coyote with attitude, and a nack for getting herself into trouble. Not to mention is one lucky lady that has one incredibly handsome and high strung werewolf neighbor that is constantly trying to please her. I would be her any day. The first four books are already out, but Silver Borne is due for release 03/30/2010. Just FYI if you are looking for me on that day just check in line at the bookstore.
Book Description from Book 1 Moon Called:
Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they’ll leave you alone if you are carful. They are very good at hiding their true natures from the human population, but I’m not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me, too.
Mercy Thomspon’s sexy next-door neighbor is a werewolf.
She’s tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire. But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself… and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.


The Night Huntress Series
by Jeaniene Frost

Another Series that should be a sin not to know. The Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost. This is an amazing series, I don’ t think their has been one book from this series that I have not finished in a day. This has to be the most addicting series I follow. Although, who wouldn’t be addicted to a man that a man that calls you “Love” and “Kitten”. A man that after centuries of the being undead you are his entire world and then some. Yes, I am addicted. If your not you should have left already to go buy these books.
Book Description for Halfway to the Grave from the Frost’s webpage:
Flirting With The Grave…
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father – the one responsible for ruining her mother’s life. Then she’s captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unlikely partnership.
In exchange for help finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her batter reflexes are as sharp as his fangs, She’s amazed she doesn’t end up as his dinner – are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn’t have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her status as kick-as demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side… and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.


Jaz Parks Series by Jennifer Rardin

For anyone that regularly follows my blog, you know my feelings for Jennifer Rardin’s Jaz Parks series; but with this being a favorites post I have to include them. Although, I am going to save you the heart felt preaching about her series. If you are interested check out my review of the recent released Bite Marks the sixth book in this awesome series.
Book Description of Book #1 Once Bitten, Twice Shy
I’m Jaz Parks. My boss is Vayl, born in Romania in 1744. Died there too, at the hand of his vampire wife, Liliana. But that’s ancient history. For the moment Vayl works for the C.I.A. doing what he does best–assassination. And I help. You could say I’m an Assistant Assassin. But then I’d have to kick your ass.
Our current assignment seemed easy. Get close to a Miami plastic surgeon named Assan, a charmer with ties to terrorism that run deeper than a buried body. Find out what he’s meeting with that can help him and his comrades bring America to her knees. And then close his beady little eyes forever. Why is it that nothing’s ever as easy as it seems?


The Maker’s Song Series
by Adrian Phoenix


This made my list for its unique storyline. This series is so unlike any other book that I have read. I even found myself attracted to Dante the male character when he is someone I would never really connect with. As a couple the main character and Dante almost seem mismatched, but low and behold it worked and ended up being awesome. The second book was well worth the wait, and I can not wait until 12/29/2009 for the release of Beneath The Skin.
Book #1 A  Rush of Wings Description from Amazon:
Set in the brooding New Orleans area long established as the best location for all things vampiric, Phoenix's lively debut has it all: Rogue [FBI] agents, Bureau-ordered hits, mad-scientist experiments in psychopathology, vampires and fallen angels and a slicing-dicing serial killer. Smart, sexy FBI Special Agent Heather Wallace has been trying to catch the Cross-Country Killer for three years when the trail leads to New Orleans and Club Hell, where Dante Prejean performs with the Inferno, an industrial/goth rock band. Dante is a Cajun and a born vampire whose memories of his terrible past have been erased, leaving him vulnerable to the psychopathic killer, E, who knows all that Dante has forgotten. As E begins targeting Dante's loved ones, Heather must swallow her skepticism and work with Dante's vampiric friends and family to save him. Phoenix alternates romantic homages to gothdom and steamy blood-drinking threesomes with enough terse, fast-paced thriller scenes to satisfy even the most jaded fan.


Strange Angels by Lili St Crow

These books are also new to my collection. Lili St Crow experimented with a YA series this year. It is my opinion that she rocked in her debut of the Strange Angels Series.  I look forward to reading Betrayals that was released 11/17/2009. I also just came across new information that the third book in this series will be titled Jealousy and will be release July of 2010.
Strange Angels Book #1 Description:
Dru Anderson has been “strange” for as long as she can remember. She travels from town to town with her father, hunting the things that go bump in the night and eat the unwary. It’s a weird life, but a good one–until it all explodes and a zombie busts into her new house.
Alone, terrified, and trapped in an icy town, Dru’s going to need every inch of her wit and training to stay alive. Can she trust the boy who is just a little too adult–and just happens to get bit by a werwulf? Or the strange blue-eyed boy who tells her she’s heir to a long-forgotten power? Can she even trust her own instincts?
Because Dru is not the first in her family to be killed by the darkness of the Real World. The monsters have decided to hunt back–and now Dru has to figure out who to trust, who to fight, and when to run. And not incidentally, she has to figure out how she’s going to get out of this alive.
And she has to do it by sundown, or it’s all over…


Dorina Basarab Series
by Karen Chance

This is a new series by Karen Chance. It is actually a spin off of her Cassandra Palmer Series. Unfortunately, I can not tell you the relationship between the two series because that would be a huge spoiler. I have always been a fan of the Cassandra Palmer Series, but I have to tell you I feel this series blows that one out of the water.
Midnight’s Daughter Book Description:
Dorina Basarab is a dhampir—half-human, half-vampire. Subject to uncontrollable rages, most dhampirs live very short, very violent lives. So far, Dory has managed to maintain her sanity by unleashing her anger on those demons and vampires who deserve killing.
Now Dory’s vampire father has come back into her life. Her uncle Dracula (yes, the Dracula) infamous even among vampires for his cruelty and murderous ways, has escaped his prison. And her father wants Dory to work with the gorgeous master vampire Louis-Cesare to put him back there.
Vampires and dhampirs are mortal enemies, and Dory prefers to work alone. But Dracula is the only thing on earth that truly scares her, and when Dory has to go up against him, she’ll take all the help she can get…



Darkest Powers by Kelley Armstrong

Kelley Armstrong is famous for her creating the Women of the Otherworld Series. I began reading the adult series, and was excited to read her debut YA book last year. I was completely surprised by how much I love this series. Chloe is an awesome character and easy to love. The storyline is very unique and an incredibly entertaining read. The Reckoning is not due for release until May 1, 2010; and I am waiting very very patiently.
Book Description for The Summoning:
Chloe Saunders sees dead people. Yes, like in the films. The problem is, in real life saying you see ghosts gets you a one-way ticket to the psych ward. And at 15, all Chloe wants to do is fit in at school and maybe get a boy to notice her. But when a particularly violent ghost haunts her, she gets noticed for all the wrong reasons. Her seemingly crazed behaviour earns her a trip to Lyle House, a centre for 'disturbed teens'. At first Chloe is determined to keep her head down. But then her room mate disappears after confessing she has a poltergeist, and some of the other patients also seem to be manifesting paranormal behaviour. Could that be a coincidence? Or is Lyle House not quite what it seems...? Chloe realizes that if she doesn't uncover the truth, she could be destined for a lifetime in a psychiatric hospital. Or could her fate be even worse...? Can she trust her fellow students, and does she dare reveal her dark secret?


Allie Beckstrom Series
by Devon Monk

This was my first experience with Devon Monk and she is awesome. This series is one that left me in though way past the last page. Allie Beckstrom is a awesome character, and this course of this novel leaves the reader with compassion for the this character that will continue through the series. This is a unique world that Monk has created. With a genre so popular at the moment many storylines are becoming over used, and I did not experience that feeling at all with Monk’s series. Magic in the Shadows was just recently released, and I look forward to getting my hands on this book very soon look for a review.
Magic in the Bone Book Description:
Everything has a cost. And every act of magic exacts a price from its user--maybe a two-day migraine, or losing the memory of your first kiss. But some people want to use magic without paying, and they offload the cost onto an innocent. When that happens, it falls to a Hound to identify the spell's caster--and Allison Beckstrom's the best there is.
Daughter of a prominent Portland businessman, Allie would rather moonlight as a Hound than accept the family fortune--and the many strings that come with it. But when she discovers a little boy dying from a magical offload that has her father's signature all over it, Allie is thrown back into the high-stakes world of corporate espionage and black magic.
Now, Allie's out for the truth--and the forces she finds herself calling on will overturn everything she knows, change her in ways she could never imagine...and make her capable of things that powerful people will do anything to control.

All of my favorite not included in a series


 Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles

This book by Simone Elkeles is one of my all time favorites. A love story, that you can not put down and will remember forever. The author website says that we should be seeing a sequel to this book. I can not wait.
Book Description:
CALEB: I’m happy to be going home after a year of being locked in a juvenile corrections facility for over a year for a hit and run drunk driving accident. But if I’m so happy about it, why am I feeling so anxious? Facing my parents will be rough. I also have to start my senior year of high school and face the kids at school and friends who ditched me after I got arrested. The worst part is that Maggie Armstrong is my next door neighbor.
Who’s Maggie Armstrong? Oh, she’s the girl I went to jail for maiming. I’m reminded of my mistake every day of my life because of her. Life just isn’t fair.
MAGGIE: I can’t believe Caleb Becker is being released early. I planned on going to Spain for my last semester of junior year so I could avoid facing him. But my plans get screwed up because Caleb is released from juvenile jail early. It totally upsets me that my life has been turned upside down because of the accident and Caleb returns and seems to jump right back in where he left off. Life isn’t fair and I hate Caleb with all my soul. But how can I stay away from my nemesis when he’s everywhere I go? I’m reminded how much my life changed every day of my life because of him. Life just isn’t fair.


Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Darkside
by Beth Fantaskey

Another top of the list for me. Jesica’s Guide to Dating on the Darkside  was very unique story that ended up being a deep pleasure to read. I have been anxiously awaiting to see if a sequel is going to come out. Although, thus far I have not seen any more information about a sequel.
Jessica’s Guides Book Description:
Jessica Packwood is a normal teen attending Woodrow Wilson High School. Her mathematical nature has even given her a slightly geeky reputation, which is about to change with the arrival of Lucius Vladescu, who seems to be stalking her. She tells her mother about him and learns that she is really a Romanian vampire princess who has been betrothed to Lucius at birth. She knew she was adopted, but this revelation comes as a shock. It is this agreement that has kept rival vampire clans, the Dragomirs and the Vladescus, at an uneasy peace. If the marriage does not take place, war will ensue and threaten the ultimate destruction of Jessica's vampire family. To say that this is a lot for the teen to take in is an understatement. Lucius is gorgeous, old world, tender as well as arrogant, and very overprotective of her. However, she chooses to date Jake, a handsome but rather dull boy. But not all is as it seems in the vampire world, and as the story progresses, circumstances force Jessica and Lucius to take matters into their own hands; in doing so, they examine their true feelings about themselves, family, and duty.


The Girl She Used To Be by David Cristofano

The Girl She Used To Be was a chance happening for me. I came across this book and thought I would give it a try. If I hadn’t I would have been missing an incredible book. I can not believe that a male wrote this book with the main character being female and a love story. I have heard that the movie rights were sold for this book. I anxiously await news of production.  This was beyond intriguing. I finished this book with such deep sorrow for the main characters. I have never experienced this with a book before.  A MUST READ IN MY BOOK!
Book Description from the author’s website:
When Melody Grace McCartney was six years old, she and her parents witnessed an act of violence so brutal that it changed their lives forever. The federal government lured them into the Witness Protection Program with the promise of safety, and they went gratefully. But the program took Melody's name, her home, her innocence, and, ultimately, her family. She's been May Adams, Karen Smith, Anne Johnson, and countless others--everyone but the one person she longs to be: herself. So when the feds spirit her off to begin yet another new life in another town, she's stunned when a man confronts her and calls her by her real name. Jonathan Bovaro, the mafioso sent to hunt her down, knows her, the real her, and it's a dangerous thrill that Melody can't resist. He's insistent that she's just a pawn in the government's war against the Bovaro family. But can she trust her life and her identity to this vicious stranger whose acts of violence are legendary?

Snitch by Allison Van  Diepen

This was not a typical read for me, and I was astound at the punch this YA book carried. This was an extraordinary story, and I was sad to see it end. I finished this book some time ago, and remember it like I finished it yesterday.
Book Description from authors website:
Line are clearly marked at South Bay High School. It's mixed territory for the Crips and the Bloods, which means the drama never stops.
Julia DiVino wants none of it. No colors, no C-Walks -- it's not just her thing.
But when Eric Valiente jumps into her life, everything changes. Lines are redrawn. And then they're crossed.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I really have to look into the Vampire Academy Series. Everyone seems to love those.

And I agree, Leaving Paradise is an awesome book. There's going to be a sequel as well. :D

Abigail [All Things Urban Fantasy] said...

Wow do we think alike. Have you read Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels series yet?

Donna [Fantasy Dreamer's Ramblings] said...

Love your choices! I haven't read all of these but I have plans to especially Frost, Phoenix and Mead's series.

I don't believe I've heard of the Lily Dale Series. Need to check them out.

Anonymous said...

Wondering if you have suggestions for our male readers. All of these seem to be targeted for females.

Kerri Williams said...

I love love the VA series and a friendly recommendation- if you liked it you would like her step up with SUCCUBUS series. Loved them too!